The League of Vermont Writers has a free Manuscript Critique Service (MCS), something we believe is unique to our group.
Rules and regulations for using this service:
During one calendar year, a member may submit:
- Two articles or short stories
- 12 poems
- One play, television script, or movie script (up to 50 pages)
- One novel or nonfiction book synopsis, plus the first three chapters (up to 50 pages)
- On movie scripts or book length work, your reader might agree to review more of the book manuscript at a later date, but this is rare.
- Typed on one side of the page only, double-spaced
- One-inch margins all around, numbered pages
- Printed on 15-lb. paper or higher.
- Do not staple pages. Use a jumbo clip or leave loose.
- Do not put your name on any of the manuscript pages; do indicate your manuscript working title and the page number on the top right of each page.
- Your name
- Complete mailing address
- E-mail address
- Title of Manuscript
- Genre of Manuscript (Be specific: Book or Magazine Nonfiction; History and Folklore, Nature, Poetry, Children's, Young Adult, Newspaper feature, Mystery, Literary, Romance, Play, TV script, Movie script, Horror novel, and so forth)
- Number of pages enclosed
- Special requests for critique reader (ex., "If possible, please suggest venues for this manuscript," or "I'm having problems with dialogue; please pay particular attention to this and make suggestions.")
- Four sets of postage, with envelopes. (One set will be for your original mailing to the director; another for his/her mailing to the reader/critic; another for reader/critic back to director; and last, for director to mail everything back to you.)
- Do not write anything on the three enclosed envelopes. Put your three extra sets of postage in a separate envelope, not on the enclosed mailing envelopes themselves. Do not send checks, just stamps! Do not send metered mail for postage, just stamps!
- Send everything (the manuscript, cover sheet, three extra sets of postage, and three additional manuscript envelopes) to:
LVW Manuscript Critique Service Director
c/o Sharon Putnam
14 Pelkey Road
Springfield, VT 05156